Friday, August 14, 2009-Saturday, August 15th 2009- and Today.


Friday was our last day in Ethiopia. I woke up early and ran downstairs to see if the coffee was ready. It wasn't but I saw Tanya in the courtyard. The next group of families had arrived and Tanya was among them. I think I cried when I hugged her. And not just because she threw me that amazing virtual shower before ever meeting me. I think it was because it had been such an emotional week. I think it was because I had already met her beautiful boys. She looked out to the care center the same way I had just a week before.

Meazi was still out of sorts and we had Roza talk with her. Roza said Meazi was happy, liked us very much, and knew she was going on an airplane later in the day to America. I think Meazi just pretended to be okay.

We left mid day.


If you ask Meazi about the first flight, from Addis Ababa to Dubai, she will tell you over and over again how we had to sit in different 'carts'. Steven and Melese were in the row with the bassinet, and Meazi and I were in a row behind, and across from them. Meazi couldn't believe that we didn't all get to sit together. She was amazed by absolutely everything at her seat. She showed everything to the amiable college girl sitting next to her. The girl would nod and pretend to be as excited about the tray table, and the seat belt, etc. Then Meazi fell asleep. We have a short video clip (that I can't transfer to a mac) that captures me in my first fully relaxed, happy moment. It was as if I let go of everything . The plane doors had been securely locked, and I was headed home with my children. I haven't seen an image of me looking that peaceful in over a decade.

Once we got to Dubai we camped out at one of the pay-by-the-hour lounges.






Then it was just a mere 16 1/2 hours to Los Angeles.




How did they know to serve M&m's to our little M&m's? I ate this while Meazi was asleep. She still talks about that too. She was pissed.

I did save the M&m's for her though.

Steven just said to me now, that he had no idea how we were ever going to manage that flight. It wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. Meazi only slept for about twenty minutes in the whole 16 1/2 hours. Melese cried a lot, but really it wasn't as bad as we imagined. The Emirates crew on the flight home, was nowhere near as nice as the flight crew had been on the way out. That kind of sucked. They also seemed to always exclude Meazi every time they went through the aisle passing out cool kids' stuff. I started muttering under my breath that they were racist. But we made it to LAX.

All of these people were waiting for us. I know that most social workers would recommend that you do not have a large group waiting for you at the airport. We had no idea so many people would come. Meazi will say to me from time to time, "Mom, can you believe all of my friends came to meet me at the airport? They are so kind. They must love me." So, yeah, if you are considering a big airport welcome, and have the generous, beautiful, friends and family whom are willing to participate, I say go for it.


We were home...
Nana had organized everything...

I introduced the kidlets to the pups...

Deb and Allen brought home our luggage. And this family brought us the world's best pizza.

And we rested...


Thank you for bearing with me and reading this. It has been totally cathartic to relive what was probably the biggest week of my entire life. It took me a year to be at a place where I felt like sharing.

Steven has a three week vacation starting this evening. It is the weekend. That means...


Saturday culture class and doggie yoga...

Sunday swim lessons...

Gardening...


'M' pancakes...


and the beginning of our 13th month as a family.

Keep on truckin'

Keep on truckin'

Say it with me...

Keep on truckin'
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...