Thursday, August 13, 2009



Thursday we spent time with the kids at the guest house. There was an injera cooking demonstration...


And a cooking class...


Remember my bracelet? This bracelet had been pulled and tugged by kid after kid at home in Los Angeles. It never broke. Meazi saw it and immediately plucked it from my wrist. She knew it belonged to her. Recognize her outfit?


While the kids napped, I went to AHOPE.

When I came back, it was time for the goodbye coffee ceremony. All of the other families were flying home on ET air and leaving that evening. We weren't leaving until Friday.





Later, back in our room, we saw a glimpse of what Meazi's personality was like...


Her mood changed quite a bit. She became scared again, so scared in fact that we called the social worker on call. It was Roza. I had fallen apart by this time too. I skipped the exit interviews each family was asked to do. Kiddos finally fell asleep. Roza came by the next morning.

I am leaving some things out. Some intentionally, and some because I just don't remember. I know we went shopping during our stay in Ethiopia, but I don't remember what days we went. If you are going, we found the most beautiful things at the Leprosy hospital shop. (Heidi just wrote about the place on her blog).

It is late and I am trying to think of something significant to say about this day we had in Ethiopia, but my mind is clouded . Today, the 2010 Wednesday, has been a tough day for Meazi. I am continually amazed at how anniversaries throw my children for a major loop. Meazi wore that care package outfit all day and night yesterday. She hasn't worn it in months. She is talking a lot. She seems very anxious. So, nothing profound to say about our last full day at the guest house. We continue to deal with all of it. In some ways I feel we haven't helped her at all.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...